Prime Contractor: AECOM
Client: Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA)
Date: March 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
• The Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) is
considering adding concourse- and platform-level retail amenities to
improve passenger experience and diversify revenue streams. Dr.
Charles Warren and the Toyon Group participated in an AECOM-led
team, including Bleakly Advisory Group, Cushman & Wakefield, Global
Concessions, Contente Consulting and Gude Management to
evaluate the potential for retail concessions at major stations identified
in a previous preliminary study.
• Understand the best locations for retail within each station and the
appropriates types (kiosks, newsstands, booths, etc) for each space
• Estimate the cost of building out retail space and compare to potential
rental revenues from vendors.
• A basic vendor revenue model was constructed, using weekday and
weekend ridership counts, household spending estimates, and
conservative customer capture/conversion rates. Potential rents for
platform- and concourse-level retail were estimated by using a survey
of local retail rents in the submarkets immediately around the stations,
rental rates on comparable transit systems.
• The team toured stations to develop site-specific estimates of
construction costs including electrical and plumbing infrastructure and
core-and-shell materials and labor.
• The team provided updated forecast revenue and expenses (both to
vendors and to MARTA) for the stations selected, recommending an
easily implementable and scalable pilot program.